Security and safety are –– obviously –– huge priorities for professionals working in or around airports. This includes the Airport Operational Area (AOA), where landings, takeoffs, and other key events take place. Within this highly sensitive area, it’s crucial for professionals to have access to fencing and barricades that provide clear delineations and safe barriers to protect both workers and visitors.
At OTW, we have a long history of partnering with airports to deliver a range of portable, versatile, and permanent perimeter fencing options in the form of plastic barriers and other safety products. Our barriers are perfectly designed to ensure high visibility, prevent access to restricted areas, promote safety in construction areas at airports, and to address the unique challenges of an airport environment.
OTW Airport Barriers
Barriers and fences within AOAs need to adhere to a high standard of safety and quality. FAA regulations stipulate that plastic barriers used in AOAs must meet certain criteria such as:
- UV resistance.
- Jet blast testing.
- The ability to interlock to minimize foreign object damage (FOD).
- The addition of hazard lights that produce steady or flashing red light that is visible in all directions.
In addition, all auxiliary barrier equipment –– like hazard lights or flags –– must also meet these standards.
OTW barriers and safety equipment tick all of these boxes. For example, our 10” low-profile airport barrier is made with high-density polyethylene with added UV protection and FAA-compliant flags and hazard lights. This popular model has a large internal ballast capacity and can withstand winds in excess of 70 mph, and its 3-degree angled sides ensure the highest visibility possible for pilots approaching landing strips.
Benefits of Plastic Barriers for Airports
Not only do plastic barriers meet government safety standards for use in airports, but they also offer a number of key benefits over traditional fencing options. Plastic barriers are more versatile and often represent a better return on investment than steel or concrete alternatives— some specific advantages that plastic barriers can provide for airports include:
- Unmatched visibility. Plastic barriers are bright (safety) orange and are designed to support FAA-approved hazard lights and flags to guarantee visibility even in the most adverse conditions.
- Excellent Durability. Our plastic barriers are made from the highest quality polyethylene and are built to withstand poor weather, high winds, and regular wear and tear.
- Portability. Plastic barriers can be moved, rearranged, set up, and broken down much quicker and much more easily than other barrier models. Plastic barriers can be used time and again for a variety of projects and under a wide range of circumstances, both indoors and out.
- Safety. Plain and simple, plastic barriers allow professionals at airports to work in a safe and secure environment. From permanent AOA fencing to offering temporary cover during construction, plastic barriers are a great versatile option for airports.
Why Choose OTW Barriers?
Our team is dedicated to providing top-of-the-line service to our clients and to help them meet their specific needs. All of our plastic barricades are designed and manufactured right here in the United States and are 100% recyclable.
Contact the team at OTW here to learn more about our methods or to get started on your next project today.